WHAT: Discover why life is better with a boat at the 115th edition of the Progressive® Insurance New York Boat Show®, docking at the Javits Center January 22-26, 2020. Boat hop and shop magnificent motor yachts, tricked out runabouts, serious center consoles and watersports boats galore with 350 different vessels to inspire an unforgettable summer on the water – including boats that can be financed for less than $250 a month. Plus, experience thousands of new technologiesas you explore the benefits of wakesurfing, fishing, cruising and simply disconnecting with family and friends on the water.
WHEN: Wednesday-Sunday, January 22-26, 2020Wednesday-Friday: 12:00pm-9:00pm; Saturday: 10:00am-9:00pm; Sunday: 10:00am-6:00pm
WHERE: Javits Center, 655 West 34th Street, New York, NY – take the 7 train to the boats! Now it’s easier than ever to arrive at the Javits Center by subway on the new 7 train line extension.
- NEW! Dogs on Deck: Come see why dogs are a boater’s best friend and take a tour of five pup-friendly boats paired with their ideal breed and furry first mates, who are in town for AKC Meet the Breeds (Thursday, January 23 from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.)
- NEW! Experience Miami in NYC: Take a trip to Miami without leaving New York at the Greater Miami Convention & Visitors Bureau photo booth and virtual tropical experience. Learn about Miami Boat Week and Miami’s outdoor activities galore while infusing summer fun into your winter ‘gram.
- Tour the Queen of the Show and her Court of Beauties: Boat Show tradition dictates that the largest boat at the show each year is named the (Yasssss) Queen. 2020’s luxurious innovations dictate a look at the Queen and her Court on the show’s 115th Anniversary. Check out stunning staterooms, convertible sun roofs, high-tech amenities like GPS anchoring, and luxury at every turn aboard 5 of the most lavish yachts at this year’s Show.
- Kids’ Build-a-Boat: Beyond the fun of climbing aboard to play captain, little skippers will have boatloads of fun creating one-of-a-kind nautical masterpieces inspired by their time at the show.
- Progressive® Boathouse: In this interactive space, attendees can boost their nautical know-how with top-notch mariners teaching hands-on boating courses for all levels of experience. Visitors can also try Progressive’s Oculus Rift virtual reality experience, putting themselves at the helm of a virtual boat race.
- New York Boating Career Day: On January 23, students from the NY Harbor School, SUNY Maritime and more will take advantage of expert sessions and interactive Q&A panels with a diverse mix of leaders discussing marine technology jobs, vessel operations at work, and how to get hired in the boating industry.
- New York’s Artificial Reefs: Long Island’s Sunken Treasure—
- Recreational diving, fishing, and environmental protection take center stage at the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation’s (DEC) Artificial Reef Exhibit, where attendees can learn more about the largest expansion of New York State’s artificial reefs in state history. Directed by Governor Andrew M. Cuomo, New York’s Artificial Reef Initiative is already increasing the biodiversity of marine life, enhancing fishing and diving opportunities on Long Island’s coast, and helping to strengthen the economies of coastal communities and businesses.
- Super Thursday: Super Thursday specials include even deeper savings on the best deals of the year as attendees shop and compare boats side by side – look for free boat grills, bonus savings, and more on Thursday only!
NATIONAL BOATING INDUSTRY FACTS & FIGURES*
- The U.S. boating industry generates $170.3 billion in economic activity.
- Annual U.S. sales of boats, marine products and services are estimated to total $42 billion in 2019.
- Retail unit sales of new powerboats in 2019 are expected to total approximately 280,000 units. Leading sales are wakesports boats, personal watercraft, and cruisers between 22 and 32 feet.
- There are 35,000 marine businesses in the U.S. supporting 690,000 direct and indirect jobs.
- Outdoor recreation accounts for 2.2 percent of U.S. GDP, generating $778 billion in gross economic output—on par with the telecommunications industry (2.3 percent)—of which recreational boating and fishing is the single largest segment, contributing nearly $40 billion in gross output. (Source: U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Economic Analysis)
- 95% of boats sold in the U.S. are made in the U.S.
- 84% of U.S. Boat Manufacturers are small businesses
- 95% of boats in the U.S. are small, towable boats under 26 feet
- 142 million Americans go boating each year.
TRISTATE BOATING INDUSTRY FACTS & FIGURES*
- Economic Impact: Boating is Big Business
- New York State’s boating industry has a total economic impact of $8.4 billion.
- New Jersey’s boating industry has a total economic impact of $6.6 billion.
- Connecticut’s boating industry has a total economic impact of $4.1 billion.
- Sales on the Rise
- New York State’s boating industry grew to more than $775 million in sales in 2018.
- New Jersey’s boating industry grew to more than $411 million in sales in 2018.
- Connecticut’s boating industry grew to more than $211 million in sales in 2018.
- Jobs Growth: New York Metro boating industry supports 41,558 direct and indirect jobs
- Just for fun
- Since its inception in 1905, the Progressive Insurance New York Boat Show has welcomed nearly 9 million boating enthusiasts to explore the best of life on the water, and served as a key revenue generator for boating businesses in New York and beyond.
- New York City has had more boat shows than Mayors (115 boat shows and 109 mayors!)
TICKETS: $16 for adults; children 12 and under get in FREE when accompanied by an adult
- Save $2 when you buy tickets in advance online at NYBoatShow.com)
- Military and first responders get $3 off tickets purchased at the Show on January 22
- United States Power Squadron & United States Coast Guard Auxiliary members get free admission with valid ID on January 22
MEDIA CONTACTS: Carrie Waible (646-532-6730 or email@example.com) and Amanda Brokaw (917-238-0204 or Amanda@cwandco.com) for press materials, photos, interviews, special access & live remotes.